Street Sweeping Citizen Tips
|About the Bismarck Street Sweeping Program
Each spring the Public Works Street Department conducts an annual street sweeping program. This program is initiated to clean up the dirt and debris that has accumulated on the City streets over the winter.
Street sweeping is one of the most cost-effective ways to remove the sediments and associated pollutants, such as metals, petroleum products, that accumulate on streets before they wash into local watersheds. Over 1,000 lane miles of roadway are swept each year. The program takes approximately six weeks to complete.
Due to the cooperation of Bismarck residents, the City of Bismarck Street Department has been able to clean the streets in a very efficient and timely manner. The City of Bismarck would like to thank its citizens for their cooperation.
Sweeping Guidelines for Residents
- Street sweeping operations can be dangerous.
- Maintenance areas tend to be dusty and visibility may be restricted.
- Parents are advised to keep children away from all street sweeping operations.
- Stones and other flying debris could be hazardous.
- Motorists should drive with caution when passing street sweepers.
- Residents are asked to move vehicles and trailers off city streets before the sweepers are in their area.
- Residents and businesses are reminded NOT to rake or blow leaves or grass into the street.
- Grass clippings plug our storm water system; please keep grass clippings out of the gutter line and street.
- Residents may take grass/leaves to the yard waste sites (while available) or place the bags out for collection.
2013 Fall Sweeping - Completed Areas :
South City Limits to Main Avenue and East City Limits to West City Limits (Oct 28, 2013)
Main Avenue to Interstate Avenue and East City Limits to 9th Street. (Nov 1, 2013)
Main Avenue to Interstate Avenue and 9th Street to Washington Street. (Nov 1, 2013)
Interstate Avenue to Century Avenue and East City Limits to West City Limits (Nov 6, 2013)
Century Avenue to North City Limits and East City Limits to West City Limits (Nov 8, 2013)
≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈ ≈
2013 Spring Sweeping - Completed Areas:
Area 1: Divide Avenue to Interstate 94 and West City Limits to East City Limits. (June 4, 2013)
Area 2: Divide Avenue to Boulevard Avenue and Highland Acres Area from East City Limits to West City Limits. (May 6, 2013)
Area 3: Boulevard Avenue to Main Avenue and East City Limits to West City Limits. (May 13, 2013)
Area 4: Main Avenue to Bismarck Expressway and East City Limits to West City Limits. (May 15, 2013)
BHS: Bismarck High School: 6th St to 10th St and Ave C to Boulevard Ave. (May 17, 2013)
Area 5: Bismarck Expressway to South City Limits and East City Limits to West City Limits. (May 17, 2013)
Area 6: Century Avenue to Interstate 94 and State Street to West City Limits (May 23, 2013)
Area 7: Century Avenue to North City Limits and West City Limits to Washington Street (May 31, 2013)
Area 8a: Century Avenue to North City Limits and Washington Street to State Street. (June 4, 2013)
Area 8b: Century Avenue to North City Limits and State Street to East City Limits. (June 7, 2013)